Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Lebanon Maps And Satellite Photos

UPDATE: Another Bint Jbeil satellite photo here (scroll to the 11:21 am update).

Between the job I've got and the job I'm looking for, I haven't had much time to follow the news and post. But I did take some time today to look for some new maps showing Bint Jbeil, which the IDF claims it has successfully taken.

Here is a satellite photo of what at least I think is Bint Jbeil. I'm not certain because Google Maps doesn't show any place names on their satellite photos of Israel and Lebanon. I had to take several other maps and try to piece together the location of Bint Jbeil on the satellite image. I started with a satellite photo of Beirut and scrolled my way southeast. I'm pretty confident I've got the right spot, but if you think I missed the mark, let me know. Click the image to see a larger version.

On the larger version you'll note the image becomes blurry and green towards the top. This is where the satellite imagery changes to a version that is a much lower resolution.

I was greatly aided in finding an area at least close to Bint Jbeil by a phenomenon we've seen before. The border between Israel and Lebanon is quite easy to spot: Lebanon begins where the green of Israel ends. It's more striking when viewing the sliver of territory that represents northernmost Israel:

It reminds me of another satellite photo:

Light versus darkness, fertile green versus barren dust, freedom and life versus tyranny and death.

At the Counterterrorism Blog, Bill Roggio has modified the UNIFIL map I linked to earlier to show the current state of the fighting in Lebanon.

More posting tomorrow morning.

PREVIOUSLY:

Technorati tags: | | | | | |

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I confirm your positioning. Zoom out a few levels and you will see the road along the Israeli border, and the towns of Avivim and Yir'on.

The "green/brown" contrast is not quite fair in this situation. The "finger of Galilee" is green not because it is Israeli but because it is the floor of the Khula Valley. The border runs along the crest of the mountains. Actually, the border is about 4 km west of the edge of the green area.

Also note that the Golan Heights, to the east, are non-green, despite Israeli occupation for the last 39 years. So is the area between the SE corner of Lebanon and the Sea of Galilee.

OTOH, the Bekaa valley is green.

McKreck said...

Rich,

Thanks for the confirmation and the details.